Monday, January 7, 2013

Day 9: Wait, where's Johnny?!

Hi everyone! My name is Mary and I'm a junior biology major from Plattsburgh, New York. Costa Rica has been awesome so far, and I can't wait to tell you about what we've been up to!

Today we woke up bright and early and went for our first bird walk. We walked through the botanical garden across the street. Alex, our guide showed us all around the garden and pointed out some really cool birds! 

After out walk we had breakfast and headed to our boat tour on the Sarapaqui river. This area of Costa Rica has a great deal of species diversity and richness. Our guide informed us that there are 480 species of birds alone! We got to see a lot of wildlife including a few iguanas, caimans, herons, and green mccaws. After about 2 hours on the water, we returned back to the lodge and prepared for our next adventure.

The Sarapaqui river (photo credit Nick Kyratzis)

Green iguana

   After lunch we went on a self guided hike on the lodge property. We hiked for a while, and eventually ended up on a bank of the Sarapaqui river. It was a really beautiful spot, and we were able to get some great pictures. Exploring around the bank was the "best part" of Professor Lewins' day, as he found a Mole Cricket. It was the first one he'd ever seen alive. #classicbill. 

Professor Hope taking pictures!

Today was particularly awesome for me because it was the first day of activities I was able to take part in since New years eve. I had an emergency appendectomy, and was in the hospital from New Year's Eve until January fourth. Not quite what I had in mind for New Years plans! It has been so awesome rejoining the group.I'm especially fond of the "hey at least I have an appendix" comebacks whenever I joke around with someone. I'm so glad I was able to stay with the group and spend some more time in this beautiful country!


Pura Vida!
Mary

No comments:

Post a Comment